Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cups softened butter
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cups cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
- Heat oven to 350
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk and pumpkin. Just mix together until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a mixer, beat the butter, sugars, and vanilla together until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Alternating, add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to the sugar mixture. Beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Mix for 1 minute on low until fully combined. Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup, place batter in prepared cupcake pan.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes. Cupcakes are done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups powdered sugar (varies based on temperature/humidity)
3 tablespoons half and half (varies based on temperature/humidity)
In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter and shortening. Whip together with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon and whisk until well combined.
Gradually add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Alternately add the half and half, whipping the icing on medium-high speed after each addition, until the desired consistency is reached.