Red Velvet Cupcakes (with cream cheese surprise inside)
Yield: 2 dozens
1 box red velvet cake mix (prepared as package directs, except substitute milk for water)
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese (room temperature
⅓ c. sugar
1 dash salt
1 c. mini chocolate chips
Cream cheese frosting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and salt. Beat again. Stir in chocolate chips. Refrigerate while making cake mix.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package except substitute milk for water.
- Line cupcake pan with liners. This recipe makes about 30 cupcakes.
- Fill cupcake liners ½-2/3 full with red velvet cake mix.
- Add 1 T. cream cheese filling on top of cake mix.
- Bake as package directs for cupcakes. I baked mine 22 minutes.
- Let cool in cupcake pan for 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- If desired, frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.