Chocolate Velvet Cake
Chocolate Velvet Cake with Chocolate Heritage Frosting gives a nod to the traditional Southern velvet cakes we all know and love while giving them a bit of an update. Full of rich, delicious chocolate flavor with that unmistakable velvet cake texture.
½ cup butter, softened
1½ cups granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2½ cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon espresso powder
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350o F. Prepare three 8-inch cake pans with butter and flour, taking care to remove any excess flour.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Add eggs one at a time, completely incorporating after each addition.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and espresso powder in a separate medium bowl, set aside.
- Pour buttermilk and vanilla into a measuring cup, set aside.
- Alternately, mix flour mixture and buttermilk mixture into butter mixture, beginning
- and ending with flour. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl to ensure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Reduced speed of mixer and stir in baking soda, making sure incorporated into batter. Then, stir in the vinegar, taking care not to overmix.
- Distribute cake batter evenly into the three cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until cakes have gently pulled away from the edges of the cake pans and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Cool in pans for about 10 minutes and then turn out onto cooling racks until cakes are completely cooled before frosting cake.