Gluten-Free Chocolate Tea Cake
Prep Time : 15 mins
Total time: 1 hrs, 45mins
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup unsalted, roasted almonds, plus 2 tablespoons chopped
7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (61%–72% cacao), coarsely chopped
½ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
4 large eggs, separated
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly coat a 8½x4½” loaf pan with nonstick spray. Pulse cocoa powder and 1 cup almonds in a food processor until very finely ground, about 1 minute.
- Microwave chocolate and ¼ cup water in a microwave-safe bowl in 15-second intervals (or heat in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water), stirring occasionally, until melted. Whisk in oil and salt, then almond mixture and half of granulated sugar, then egg yolks.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. With motor running, gradually add remaining granulated sugar; beat egg whites to firm peaks.
- Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture in 2 additions, folding just until incorporated each time. Scrape batter into prepared pan; top with chopped almonds and raw sugar. Bake cake until top is firm when gently pressed and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 50–60 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cake cool in pan 15 minutes. Turn out onto rack and let cool completely.
- Do Ahead: Cake can be baked 4 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.
source: Chris Morocco @ bonappetit