Chocolate hazelnut biscotti Fingers
Yields: 20 pcs
Baking temp: 300F
1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1-1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup finely chopped dark chocolate (and more for drizzling or dipping biscotti, if desired)
1/3 cup toasted, chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, espresso, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and egg whites until light. Whisk in vanilla.
- Add eggs to the flour mixture and use a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly until a stiff dough forms. Mix in chocolate and hazelnuts.
- On a floured surface, divide dough into 2 equal portions and roll each into an evenly-thick foot-long log. Press each log down with the palm of your hand until they are about 3 inches wide.
- Transfer logs to the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Bake for 40 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Let logs cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Using two spatulas, transfer logs to a large cutting board and use a serrated knife to cut each log into 10 fingers, cutting at a diagonal.
- Arrange cookies, cut-side down on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip each cookie and bake an additional 10 minutes or until biscotti are crisp.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container. To serve, arrange on a Halloween platter in the shape of hands with fingers.