Candy Corn Ghost Cupcakes
Yields: 12 pcs
Baking temp: 350F
Baking time: 20 mins
For the Cupcakes
1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 c. sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg white, at room temperature
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. milk
1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring
1 to 2 drops orange food coloring
For the Frosting
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
3 to 4 c. confectioner’s sugar
2 to 4 tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 drop yellow food coloring
1 drop orange food coloring
Royal icing eyes, for garnish
- Make cupcakes: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill cupcake pan with liners; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until combined; scrape down bowl, beat in egg white. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- Alternate adding flour and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Evenly divide batter into three separate bowls and color two portions, one with yellow food coloring and the other with orange food coloring. Divide batter evenly among liners until they’re three-quarters full.
- Bake until tops are golden and spring back when slightly pressed, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to let cool completely.
- Make frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter until slightly whipped. Add 1 cup confectioner’s sugar at a time, beating on low until slightly blended, about 5 seconds. Increase speed to high and beat until fully incorporated, 5 to 7 seconds more. Repeat with remaining confectioner’s sugar. Add two tablespoons heavy cream and vanilla and beat to combine. Add remaining heavy cream as needed to achieve desired consistency. Add salt and beat to combine. Evenly divide frosting into three separate bowls and color two portions, one with yellow and the other with orange. Fill three pastry bags with each color. (Fit yellow and orange pastry bag with a closed star tip; fit white pastry bag with a round tip.) Pipe three layers with each color. Finish with royal icing eyes.