Vanilla Butter Ogura cake
Yields: 6″ cake
3 egg yolks (Large about 65g)
50g superfine flour, sifted
50 g full cream milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
20g vegetable oil
pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)
3 egg whites
40g castor sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
Utentil: 6″ round pan, line bottom with baking paper (can use a square pan for shorter cake)
Baking temp/time: 150C/50 mins. Oven preheated to 160C then lowered to 150C when cake is in.
- In a bowl, mix together the yolks, 1 whole egg, salt, vanilla extract and milk.
- . Heat up the oil and butter until small bubbles appears then remove from heat and immediately pour in the flour and stir into a smooth paste. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg yolk and milk to the mixture and stir until smooth and flowy.
- In a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until frothy before adding the cream of tartar. Continue beating until fine foams before adding sugar gradually and beat till firm peaks.
- Take 1/3 of the meringue and mix into the yolk batter, stirring with a hand whisk until combined. Add another 1/3 portion and mix until combined before adding the final 1/3 and then switch to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter until no more yolk batter is visible.
- Pour into prepared pan, shake the pan from side to side to even out the top and bake in a water bath at 150C for 50 minutes or until cooked.
- Removed from oven and cool for a while before unmoulding and peel off the paper before inverting back up.
- If the bottom and sides are still damp, put back on silpat or baking paper and bake for a further 2-3 minutes on very low heat (120C).
source : jeannietay