Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Yields: 10-12 pcs
1/2 cup sweet creamy butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
zest from 2 lemons
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350∞F. Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating two times with the buttermilk, then lemon juice, and then vanilla. Beat just until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, 3/4-full. Bake at 350∞F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.