Rich Chocolate Ice Cream – Custard Based
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
3/4 cup cocoa powder ( I used Hershey’s)
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
4 large egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine cream, milk and cocoa, whisking to combine. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until completely melted. set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until a pale yellow and thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of milk mixture to egg/sugar mixture while continuing to whisk so you don’t cook your eggs. Repeat 2 more times adding 1/2 cup of milk mixture to egg mixture.
- Stir egg mixture back into saucepan with remaining milk mixture. Place back on stove and over medium-low heat bring back to a simmer. Continue to stir until mixture thickens slightly and coats the spoon. About 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour through a mesh strainer into a medium bowl to remove any lumps that may have formed. Stir in vanilla and place bowl in an ice bath to cool to room temperature.
- Completely chill mixture in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight is best. Freeze in Ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.