Yellow Cake with Chocolate Buttercream
Yields: 2layer 9″ cake
1 1/4 cups (176g) all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (150g) cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 2/3 cups (356g) granulated sugar
3/4 cup (6 oz) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup (2 oz) vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (8 oz) buttermilk
1 1/2 cups (12 oz) butter, at room temperature (I like to use 1 cup unsalted and 1/2 cup salted)
3 3/4 cups (448g) powdered sugar
2/3 cup (68g) unsweetened cocoa powder
3 – 5 Tbsp half and half
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 2 9-inch round baking pans, line with parchment paper and butter parchment. Lightly dust pans with flour and shake out excess, set pans aside.
- Sift all-purpose flour and cake flour into a mixing bowl. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment whip together butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy (if not using a paddle attachment that constantly scrapes bowl, then stop mixer occasionally throughout entire mixing process and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl). Blend in vegetable oil. Mix in eggs one at time then blend in egg yolks. Mix in vanilla. Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture then mix just until combined, then add in 1/2 of the buttermilk and blend until combined, repeat process once more then finish by mixing in remaining 1/3 of the flour mixture. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Divide batter among prepared cake pans. Bake in preheated oven 25 – 29 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pans several minutes, run knife around edge to make sure they are loose, then invert onto wire racks to cool (once halfway cool I recommend wrapping with plastic wrap until completely cool). Frost with chocolate buttercream once cool. Store in an airtight container.
- For the frosting:
- In a the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter on moderately high speed until very pale and fluffy. Sift in cocoa powder then add in powdered sugar, 3 Tbsp half and half, and the vanilla and mix on low speed until combine, scrapping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in up to additional 2 Tbsp half and half to thin as needed. Increase mixer to medium-high speed and whip until fluffy.
source: Cooking Classy