BLACK MAGIC CAKE
Yields: 12 slices (2layer-9″)
Prep time: 15 mins
Baking temp: 350 degrees fahrenheit
Baking time: 35 mins
butter for pans
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup Cocoa Powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup brewed strong black coffee
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 bag (12-ounces) semi sweet chocolate chips, finely chopped
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 stick butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla.
- Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. You should have a thin batter.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans to wire racks.
- Cool completely before frosting.
To prepare the frosting, place chopped chocolate in a medium mixing bowl; set aside.
- Place whipping cream and butter in saucepan and cook over medium heat to just a boil.
- Pour cream mixture over chocolate; whisk vigorously until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove from fridge and stir; refrigerate about 1 more hour or until spreading consistency.
- Spread about ¼ to ⅓ of frosting on one cake layer; top with the other cake layer and spread frosting on top and sides of cake.
- Cut and Serve.