3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
1 cup semisweet chocolate plus 2 teaspoons shortening
1/2 cup caramels, melted
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-x-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter and sugar over medium heat, stirring frequently. You want to melt the butter completely and dissolve some of the sugar. Don’t bring it to a boil. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla and salt. Switch to a rubber spatula, and mix in butter mixture. Once incorporated, add baking powder and cocoa powder and stir until combined. Finally, stir in flour and mix until a smooth batter forms. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until set. Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Before you turn off the oven, toast the coconut flakes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread coconut flakes in an even layer onto the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden, stir frequently and keep an eye on the coconut flakes – they can burn quickly.
- 3. Melt semisweet chocolate together with the shortening in a heatproof bowl in the microwave in 30 second increments. Pour over the cooled brownies and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes. Drizzle with melted caramels and melted milk chocolate chips (I heat the caramels and chocolate chips in heatproof bowls in the microwave in 20 second increment until fully melted and use a spoon for drizzling). Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top and wait until set to cut into squares, about 30 minutes.
- Brownies will keep up to 3 days stored in an airtight container