GLUTEN FREE BUTTERNUT SQUASH BANANA BREAD
2 large ripe bananas (about 1 cup)
1 egg (or sub 1 flax egg: 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2.5 Tbsp water)
3 Tbsp grape seed or coconut oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2-3 Tbsp honey, depending on preferred sweetness (optional)
3.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup almond or dairy milk
1 1/4 cup almond meal
1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour mix
1 1/4 cup gluten free oats
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp butternut squash (or pumpkin) puree*
*Place squash to a food processor or blender with 1 cup water and puree until smooth
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease or spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Then add egg through milk and whisk until well combined.
- Next add in gluten free flour blend, almond meal and gluten free oats and stir.
- Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan. Then scoop butternut squash puree into the remaining batter and stir. Add it to the loaf pan and use a spoon or knife to gently swirl.
- Bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes, or until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let set in pan for 5-10 minutes, then gently move to a wire rack and let cool completely. Nutrition reflects 10 small slices. Serve with butter and honey or as is. Store leftovers in a covered container for up to a few days.