Red Velvet Fudge
2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp red gel food coloring
- Using a 5×9 pan (typically same size as banana bread pan, if you want thinner pieces, use 8×8) line pan with wax parchment paper or wax paper. Make sure you have some extra on all four sides.
- Combine sugar, cocoa, buttermilk, sweet condensed milk (if you choose to add it), and food coloring in a non stick pan. (I used a big pot) Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, but do not scrape down the sides. (to avoid getting crystallized sugar in fudge)
- Using a well calibrated thermometer, make sure the fudge gets up to 238 degrees.
- Reduce heat and allow fudge to simmer. DO NOT STIR. At all. Like seriously dont even touch the pan.
- Allow fudge to cool to 110 degrees and add butter and vanilla.
- Beat by hand or use electric mixer until fudge loses its sheen. (I used an electric mixer for 20 minutes. Not kidding. Some folks say this stage takes 3-5 minutes.)
- Place in prepared pan and allow to cool, usually 1-2 hours.
- This recipe yielded 25 small squares