Red Velvet Cheesecake
2 cups Oreo crumbs (about 20 Oreos)
4 tbsp butter, melted
24 oz cream cheese, room temperature (three 8 oz packages)
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp cocoa
4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 ounces red food color
Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup whipped cream cheese icing
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine crust ingredients and mix well.
- Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper in the bottom.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes then remove.
- Cover the outsides of the pan with aluminum foil so that water from the water bath cannot get in, and set aside.
- Reduce oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, blend the cream cheese, sugar and cocoa with an electric mixer until combined (Use low speed to keep less air from getting into the batter, which can cause cracks). Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating slowly and scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Add the sour cream, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract and red food color. Beat on low speed until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the pan.
- Drop the cheesecake on the counter a few times to release air bubbles that can cause cracks.
- Place springform pan inside another pan. Fill outside pan with enough warm water to go about halfway up the sides of the springform pan. The water should not go above the top edge of the aluminum foil on the springform pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave cheesecake in oven with door closed for 30 minutes.
- Crack oven door and leave the cheesecake in the oven for another 20 minutes or until set.
- Remove cheesecake from oven and chill.
- Freeze metal bowl and whisk for 15-20 minutes to get them good and cold.
- Remove bowl from freezer and add whipping cream.
- Whip until cream starts to thicken, then add powdered sugar.
- Continue whipping until stiff peaks form, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese icing.
- Spread or pipe whipped cream on top of cheesecake. Keep cheesecake refrigerated until ready to serve.
source : lifeloveandsugar