Red Velvet Cupcake
Yield: 1 dozen
Classic red velvet cupcakes with velvety texture and buttery soft crumbs and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting.
1 ½ cups (190gr) all-purpose flour
1 cups (200gr) sugar
1 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon white distilled vinegar
8oz (225gr) cream cheese, at room temperature
¼ cup (55gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups (250gr) powdered sugar
1 tablespoon heavy cream, or milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line muffin pans with paper cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg, vegetable oil, buttermilk, red food coloring, and vanilla extract until well combined. Add the flour mixture and mix until smooth, about a minute.
- In a small dish, mix together baking soda and vinegar. While the soda/vinegar mixture is bubbling, add it to the batter and mix well.
- Using a large cookie scoop, fill the cups 2/3 of the way. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes for 5 minutes in the pan. Then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese on medium high speed until fluffy, about a minute. Add powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for a minute. Then increase the speed to medium high and continue to beat until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the frosting into a pastry bag and frost the cupcakes when they’re completely cooled.