Blue Velvet Cake
Yield: 3 8-inch round cake
½ cup Crisco
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ounce royal blue gel paste food color
Two drops violet gel paste food color
Two tablespoons cocoa
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
One scant teaspoon salt
One teaspoon vanilla
One teaspoon soda
One cup buttermilk
One tablespoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 F).
- Grease and flour 3 8-inch round cake pans.
- Cream Crisco, sugar and eggs together.
- Make a paste of food colors and cocoa and add to cake.
- Add salt and flour with buttermilk and vanilla.
- Alternately add soda and vinegar; just blend, don’t beat hard.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool cake completely before frosting.