Pecan Pumpkin Roll Cake
Yields: one roll cake
Prep time: 15 mins
Baking time: 12 mins
3 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup (200 grams) sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) (Libby’s)
3/4 cup (90 grams) all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spices
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans (Fisher)
Cream Cheese -Butter Frosting
8 oz (Philadelphia) cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups (180 grams) powdered sugar
few drops of heavy cream
more powdered sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 375F. Line a 15X10 inch pan with parchment paper, leaving about 1 inch of paper hanging on the sides. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the eggs and sugar. With the paddle attachment on, start beating the eggs on high speed for 5 minutes or until thickened and pale in color.
- Lower the speed to medium and beat in the pumpkin puree.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spices and salt on low speed until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top and bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched.
- While the cake is baking, dust some powder sugar over a clean tea towel.
- As soon as you remove the cake from the oven, invert the cake over the clean towel, peel the parchment paper and roll the cake starting with the short side.
- Let the cake cool at cool temperature for al least 1 hour but no more than 5.
- In the meantime, in a clean mixing bowl add the cream cheese and butter.
- With the paddle attachment on, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Lower the speed and gently fold in the power sugar. If needed add few drops of heavy cream to reach the desired consistency.
- Gently unfold the pumpkin roll cake and spread the cream cheese filling evenly.
- Roll the cake again and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- The cake can be made 2-3 days in advance, just keep in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, cut into slices and let at room temperature for few minutes.