Angel Food Cake with Strawberry Sauce
This fluffy, airy angel food cake with strawberry sauce is perfect when you’re craving a light dessert
For the cake
• 1 cup cake flour
• 1 ½ cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon orange zest
• 12 egg whites
• 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
2. Sift together cake flour and ¾ cup of sugar.
3. Zest one orange.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy on a low speed. Add cream of tartar and salt and continue to beat, gradually increasing the speed to high. When the egg whites get pretty white, stir in remaining ¾ cup of sugar one tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add orange zest and pure vanilla extract. Transfer the whipped egg whites into a large bowl.
5. Add flour/sugar mixture and carefully mix everything together. Be careful not to deflate the batter.
6. Now transfer the batter to ungreased angel food cake pan. Even out the surface. Run a butter knife through the batter to remove any air bubbles. Bake for about 40-45 minutes. It’s ready if the inserted wooden stick comes out clean.
7. Invert the cake on a cup as pictured until the cake is completely cooled for 90-120 minutes. This will make sure the cake stays soft and fluffy while cooling.