Wholegrain Pumpkin Cupcakes
Yield: 10 cupcakes
1 cup (125 grams) whole wheat or whole spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup (8 ounces / 225 grams) canned pumpkin puree
1 cup (200 grams) unrefined, coconut or brown sugar
1/2 cup (120ml) canola or olive oil
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick / 113 grams) butter, softened
12 ounces (340 grams) cream cheese, softened
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple extract – optional
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (you can use more or less) – also optional
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C. Prepare a muffin tin with 10 paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a larger bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin puree, sugar, and oil.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir just until combined. Do not over mix!
- Divide the batter among the tins and bake for about 20 – 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese until soft and smooth. Add the salt, vanilla, maple extract and cinnamon. Add in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Beat until fluffy. Mine was pipable right away, but if yours isn’t, put it in the refrigerator until it’s to the piping consistency you like.