Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
Yield : 8 servings
1½ cups granulated sugar
¼ tsp fresh lemon juice
4½ cups room temperature milk (I used 1%—any fat percentage you enjoy drinking should work)
8 oz milk chocolate, finely chopped
2 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
Big pinch salt
Whipped cream and caramel sauce, to garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, rub together the sugar and the lemon juice, until the sugar is damp and fragrant.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and let it preheat for several minutes until the pan is hot. Once the saucepan is hot, add the sugar. Begin stirring immediately and continuously. Because the pan was preheated, the sugar will start cooking very quickly. Soon after it liquefies it will start to take on color. Cook, stirring constantly, until it is a medium amber color.
- Continue to stir while you stream in the milk. The caramel may seize and form small chunks of sugar, but continue to stir and heat the mixture, and by the time the milk is piping hot, the caramel will have melted and you will have a smooth liquid.
- Once the milk is at a simmer (small bubbles forming along the sides of the pan) remove the pan from the heat. Don’t let the milk come to a boil! Add the chopped chocolates to the pan and whisk until the mixture is smooth and the chocolate is melted. Add a pinch of salt, taste the milk, and add more salt if desired.
- Serve Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate with whipped cream and caramel sauce. It can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for up to a week. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stove top.
source : sugarhero