5 cups raspberries (2 1/2 pints)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup Crème de Cassis or blackberry liqueur
4 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons butter sliced paper thin
3 paper thin slices of lemon (a mandoline would be best for this)
Top and bottom layer of pie crust
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Toss raspberries and sugar gently together in mixing bowl.
- In a measuring cup, whisk liqueur and cornstarch together until smooth.
- Stir Cassis mixture, lemon juice and salt gently into berries
- Line a standard 9 inch pie pan with crust. (Do not use a deep dish pie unless you significantly increase the number of berries) Spoon in the berries, and arrange lemon slices and butter over the berries.
- With the top pie crust layer, cut it into about ½ inch strips, preferably using a pastry cutter like this. Arrange over berries in a lattice pattern, alternating under-over. Crimp the edges of the pastry together
- Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake at 425F for 15 minutes. *Then lower heat to 350F and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling