Yield : 500ml
- 500ml milk
- 150g caster sugar
- 80g plain chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons cornflour (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the chocolate with the milk, sugar and vanilla. Stir to melt the chocolate completely, and allow to gently simmer (not boil!) for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile beat the egg yolks in a large glass or ceramic bowl.
- Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat, and slowly add to the beaten yolks while whisking vigorously. Continue will you’ve used about half of the chocolate mixture, whisking all the time to prevent curdling.
- Slowly add the yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining chocolate mixture, whisking vigorously. Place back over medium heat. Allow to thicken over medium heat, for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Only if the custard needs further thickening (it might not!), make a slurry with the cornflour and water, then slowly stir into the hot custard. Cook for a further 2 minutes over medium heat until thickened as desired.