Yields: one 9″ loaf
Baking temp: 350F
Baking time: 1hr
1 1/4 cup ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup apple sauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prep a loaf pan by greasing it.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to finely mash bananas (I used 3). Stir in lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together. Stir in brown sugar.
- In another bowl, use a whisk to combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Pour your liquid ingredients and mashed bananas into the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to stir just until combined.
- Stir in walnuts or chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepped loaf pan. (If you want, cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the pan, but leave enough to come up over the edges. Once your bread is baked and cooled, you can lift those pieces of parchment paper to easily remove the bread. See photo)
- Bake bread for about 1 hour. Check the done-ness of your bread by sticking a toothpick or knife into the center. It should come out clean. If it isn’t, leave the bread in for more time.
- Let cool in pan. As always, banana bread is better the next day