1 cup butter (2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour, self-rising
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare 3 9-inch cake pans.
- Cream butter til fluffy and then add sugar and cream for about 8 more minutes.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, and cream after each.
- Add flour and buttermilk, alternately, beginning and ending with flour.
- Add vanilla and beat well.
- Divide among pans and bake for 25-30 minutes until set.
- Turn out of pans onto cooling racks and allow to cool completely.
- Prepare Southern Caramel Icing as cakes are cooling then ice cake.