Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars
Yield: 8″ x 8″
- 2½ sticks butter, divided
- 1¼ cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine ¼ cup sugar and 1 stick of butter and cream together until smooth. Add flour and mix. Stir in milk. Mixture will resemble crumbs. Press into the pre-lined pan and bake 20 minutes until golden. Remove and allow to cool .
- In a medium sauce pan melt 1½ sticks of butter with ½ cup sugar. Add corn syrup and condensed milk. Bring to a boil and then decrease to simmer 6-8 minutes or until mixture achieves golden brown color, stirring constantly. (*For lower altitudes, simmer time may need to be reduced 2-3 minutes, watch carefully for coloring!) Pour caramel onto cooled shortbread. Allow to sit at room temperature 1-2 hours or until caramel has cooled and set.
- Melt milk chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Repeat in a separate bowl with white chocolate chips. Pour milk chocolate over caramel and spread evenly with a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon. Drizzle white chocolate over milk chocolate and swirl with spatula or spoon. Allow chocolate to cool completely before cutting into bars and serving. Store in airtight container
source : lecremedelacrumb