Triple Chocolate Silk Pie
Yield : 1 quart
1 recipe Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie (see recipe below or check recipes for pie crust here)
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
1 recipe white chocolate Topping (see recipe below)
1 recipe semisweet chocolate topping (see recipe below)
Hot fudge-flavor ice cream topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with the plate’s edge. Crimp edge as desired. Generously prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan cook and stir unsweetened chocolate over low heat until melted. Remove from heat; cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed about 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla. Gradually add egg, 1/4 cup at a time, beating on high speed after each addition and scraping sides of bowl constantly. Spoon chocolate mixture into pastry shell, spreading evenly. Cover and chill for 5 to 24 hours.
- Spread White Chocolate Topping over top of pie; freeze for 15 minutes. Spread Semisweet Chocolate Topping over white chocolate topping; freeze for 20 minutes. If desired, drizzle each serving with fudge ice cream topping.
From the Test Kitchen
Blogger Variation by Naomi Robinson of Bakers Royale
For Naomi’s version, omit the pastry and the Semisweet Chocolate Topping. For the crust, in a medium bowl stir together 1 1/2 crushed chocolate sandwich cookies with white filling (15 cookies) with 1/3 cup melted butter. Pat into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan; cover and chill for 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate filling as above. Spoon into crust. Cover and chill. For the next layer, prepare the chocolate filling again, but omit the unsweetened chocolate and beat 1/2 cup peanut butter into the beaten butter mixture. Spoon over chocolate layer in pan. Cover and chill. Prepare the White Chocolate Topping, doubling the ingredients. Spread over peanut butter layer (pan will be full). Cover and chill overnight. To serve, run a long thin knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the pie. Remove sides of pan. Sprinkle the edge of the pie with 1 cup chopped chocolate-coated caramel-topped nougat bars with peanuts (Snickers®). Makes 16 servings.
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, cut up
- 1/4 cup ice water
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time (1/4 to 1/3 cup total), until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
White Chocolate Topping
- 3 ounces chopped white baking bar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Melt chopped white baking bar with 1/4 cup whipping cream; cool. Beat 3/4 cup whipping cream in small mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add baking bar mixture. Continue beating on low speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
Semisweet Chocolate Topping
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Melt chopped semisweet chocolate with 1/4 cup whipping cream; cool. Beat 3/4 cup whipping cream in a small bowl with electric mixer on low speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add chocolate mixture. Continue beating on low speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
source : bhg