Sparkling Champagne Buttercream Cupcakes
Yield : 12-14 cupcakes
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup champagne (the sweeter the better)
- 6 egg whites
- 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons champagne, at room temperature
To make cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, and then blend into creamed mixture alternately with champagne.
- In another large clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into batter to lighten it, then fold in remaining egg whites. Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
To make frosting:
- With an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter. Mix on low until well blended, and then on medium for another two minutes.
- Add vanilla and champagne, beating on medium for another minute