- 4 tablespoons (55 g) salted butter
- 1 cup (180 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml), plus 6 tablespoons (90 ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a wide saucepan or skillet, melt the butter with the brown sugar and the 1/4 cup of heavy cream, stirring until smooth.
2. Without stirring, let the mixture cook at a bubbling simmer for three minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 6 tablespoons of cream. Let cool a bit, then stir in the vanilla extract.
Serving and Storage: The sauce should be served warm. It can be stored in a jar, in the refrigerator, for up to two weeks. Reheat the butterscotch sauce in a saucepan over low heat.
Note: I sometimes use unrefined brown sugar, which can leave undissolved bits of sugar. They don’t bother me, but if you wish, you can strain the warm sauce to remove them.